POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specular reflection color : Re: Specular reflection color Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:55:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular reflection color
From: bob h
Date: 25 Feb 2002 21:14:48
Message: <3c7aef98@news.povray.org>
"Michael Smith" <s64### [at] worldnetattnet> wrote in message
> This is my first post and I'm fairly new to POV-Ray. Hello.

Hello back, and welcome.

> I'm modeling the Earth and I want the water specular reflection
> color to *not* be the blue of the imagemap's water area, but
> greyish instead, as it is in reality. The sun reflects mostly off the
> surface, and since water is colorless the reflection itself should
> be primarily the color of the incoming light.

Well, I'm not sure I can be of any help to you.  Thing is, specular
reflection is already the light source color unless the material reflecting
it back is metallic.  So I don't understand why you think it is blue.
Sorry.

The major problem with that and what you want to do is probably that the
highlight will blend with the background pigment, therefore it takes a light
color lacking in the object color to prevent the blending.  I just don't
have an idea for you, only trying to find out if that is the trouble.  And
if so, reflection alone, without highlights, might be the easy answer.  Not
sure.

bob h